For current volunteers:
Please click here for current schedules and time-keeping.
Volunteering: The animals need you! Why Volunteer?
We at the Santa Fe Animal Shelter maintain an active and vital volunteer program that encourages volunteers to participate both directly with animals as well as doing “behind the curtain” work. Whether you wish to volunteer by spending time working with the animals, by teaching humane principles to children, or by participating in any number of other volunteer opportunities, we and the animals welcome your help! To learn about our current volunteer needs contact the Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. For some additional information about the volunteer opportunities, click here.
• Must be at least 12 years or older.
• Volunteers between the ages of 12 and 15 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Both the parent and child must submit applications and attend training for the desired service.
• Anyone handling animals must attend animal handling classes provided at the Shelter. If you cannot commit to six months, try our “Experience the Shelter” Option. Read about the opportunity by clicking Experience the Shelter.
• Please consider a $5 volunteer application donation. The fee helps cover the costs of volunteer aprons, access to the volunteer software portal system and other expenses.
How to get started:
1. Fill out an application online, by clicking here. If your availability and interests fit with open volunteer positions, we'll contact you through email with additional instructions. If you do not have email access, please make a note in your application along with the best way to contact you.
2. When you receive the Potential Volunteer Email, please complete the questionnaire attached and send it back to the Volunteer Coordinator.
3. Depending on the type of volunteer work you are interested in, there will be additional training required that the Volunteer Coordinator will schedule at the appropriate time.
Shelter Foster Families, another way to volunteer
We need foster families! Our foster families care for animals that aren’t ready for adoption. Most foster placements are two to six weeks, and are for nursing mothers and their litters, young kittens, puppies, injured pets or animals needing socialization or time away from the Shelter. We also need hospice foster homes for animals with advanced age or medical issues. Find out more about our New Hope Foster Program here.
Hounds Around Town
Some people just don’t have the time or opportunity to visit the Shelter on Caja del Rio Road. Now you can help bring our fabulous dogs to the public by volunteering through our “Hounds Around Town” program. Head out to the Plaza or another populated place with an adoptable dog and simply enjoy a walk together. The dog you take out will have some time away from the Shelter. And who knows; maybe your buddy will find a home in the process! Inquire at the Adoption Desk or 505.983.4309 X1610.
Court-Ordered Community Service
Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. The Santa Fe Animal Shelter will not accept individuals convicted of any violent crime toward people or animals or any felony drug offenses. To fill out the community service application or for questions about the program, please contact the volunteer coordinator at 505-983-4309 ext. 1128.