Our youth volunteers bring a special energy to our Shelter. With so much to do at SFAS and so many animals to socialize, our 12 to 15 year-olds give it all they’ve got. Our youth can work in nearly all of our volunteer roles, with the help of a chaperone. This is a great team-building and bonding experience, not just with animals, but with each other.
While we don’t have ongoing volunteer roles for youth aged 6-12, they can attend an “Experience the Shelter” event with a parent or guardian, other friends or family. This is a one-time event that can last from 2 to 4 hours. Email us for more information. Our Humane Education team may also be available for a larger group tour at the Shelter or visit to a school location; learn more about our Humane Education program.
Youth aged 6-13 years can also attend a Critter Camp session that is hosted during school breaks throughout the year. Learn other Ways to Help Animals at the Shelter and in the community without becoming a longer-term volunteer.
If you are at least 12 years old, have a chaperone and are ready to join a volunteer program where you can learn about animals and the world of animal sheltering, we would love to have you join us. If you need hours for school or other community service, please visit that page to begin. Otherwise, here’s how to get started:
Youth Volunteer and Chaperone Requirements
• Applicants between the ages of 12 and 15 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Both individuals must submit applications and attend training for their desired volunteer roles.
• Those wanting to handle animals must attend specific handling classes provided by the Shelter.
• Applicants must be willing to follow organizational policies for the safety and well-being of the animals and other people at SFAS locations.
• Chaperones (18+) must submit a one-time, non-refundable $5 volunteer application fee. The fee helps cover the cost of our volunteer T-shirt (received after 30 days of volunteering), name badge and equipment. The application fee will be waived for student groups, youth aged 12-18 and those needing assistance.
• Chaperones must submit an Application and payment for the application fee. Follow the prompts on the screen until you receive the success message.
• You will receive an email with your next steps, including the link to register in Volunteer Matrix, our Shelter’s volunteer scheduling software. The youth volunteer can use the same registration link to create their own Matrix profile.
• You are welcomed as an SFAS Volunteer Team, a vital part of the care and enrichment of our Shelter pets.
• You can begin to watch the orientation and animal handling videos. After submitting your pop quiz answers, you will be able to sign up for hands-on sessions and the orientation tour.
Also show information for: